Tuesday, April 28, 2009

i'd walk to you if i had no other way

So yesterday, one of my professors, my favorite professor for that matter, asked me where I want to go to college. And I said American U, because that is/was my first choice. He gives me this look of dismay and asks "Why?" I was taken off guard because most people who've heard of AU think it makes perfect sense for a political science major to go there. I asked him "Why not?" and he says something like you could get into so many better schools, and etc. and etc. and than he's like "why not go Ivy League?" This is after hearing my GPA.

I was immensely flattered. Its not every day that someone incredibly smart, who got their doctorate at Purdue, who got into many ivy's, tells you that you could get into an ivy. My parents were impressed. Okay, my dad was impressed by the fact that I have over a 3.5

I don't want to unneccesairly limit myself. I contemplated Ivy type schools last summer but eventually( i.e. sometime between PSAT's and Fall semester grades) I gave up. I think I underestimate myself a lot. I'm waiting till the end of this semester to make any "final" decisions about where to apply. SAT's are on Sat. (HA, same initals) and I want to see these semesters grades for sure.

Anyhow, there are seven Ivy's. Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Brown, Columbia, Dartmouth, and University of Pennsylvania. I have commentary on each:

Harvard: There's a reason its the greatest university in America. Obviously its not very likely I would get into Harvard. They have amazing financial aid, Boston seems amazing, and everyone who goes there seems very intelligent and passionate about life.

Yale: Seems really cool. The grounds themselves are beautiful. Like all of our last presidents except for Obama went there, so that says something for their poly sci program.

Princeton: Its in, basically, a suburb. They have eating clubs which are sort of like fraternities except they involve food. Really preppy, so I've heard, which I would probably love. They have an odd curriculum.

Brown: Really cool. They don't have a core curriculum, so you basically take what you want. Which sounds really cool. Pretty liberal. Pretty laid back. Providence seems nice, but may not be enough of a city.

Columbia: In NYC. Has a core curriculum..eh. Probably would transfer well. Smack dab in the biggest city, which is awesome and not so awesome. Seems nice.

Dartmouth: In the middle of no where. No matter what the merits of this excellent school are, I am not living in the country.

UPenn: Cool. Nice. Not sure about Pennsylvania. Nothing wrong with it, I just haven't considered living there.

So yeah. My not so great opinions on super great schools.
Looking forward to starting college applications......................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment